Hi Nicolas,

Le 29/06/2016 10:24, Nicolas Passerini a écrit :
Hi Dale, Therry, I am working on a libgit-based git integration for
Pharo and I am facing the same problem about version numbers. So maybe I
can help you if you are working on that.

How is the libgit integration going?

I had the same idea as Dale, using short SHAs instead of correlative
numbers, but I didn't have the time yet to got down that path.

Ok.

Therry, you said that

      you'll have a bunch of stuff expecting version numbers that will
    stop working.

Do you already know which stuff will stop working? That would be realy
helpful.

All the Monticello GUI : track down version numbers to order stuff in the lists views everywhere.

The Metacello / Gofer stuff (Configurations, Baselines) also use version numbers.

One of the difficulty of switching will be the cohabitation of number-based systems (smalltalkhub) and SHA-based systems, especially when you do things like copying a version from a git repository to a smalltalkhub repository.

That's why I suggested to change the ordering relation to a partial order based on the property A is an ancestor of B -> B is before A.

Thierry