No Spec is a helper API to help you make GUIs quickly, its not a Morphic
replacement. Bloc is the Morphic replacement and it has something similar
to Spec called Brick.

The GUI situation in pharo is not good, Pharo forked Morphic from Squeak, a
well designed API that its design was not followed as it extended and it
turned ugly in the process and none actually bother documenting it other
than small fragments here and there. Bloc tries to clean up that design at
least the Bloc I tried a year ago, I hear now that a lot of thing have
changed.

Personally I make my own GUI API that fits my needs, I take what Morphic
offers and I provide a design that is far closer to the way I think.

Unfortunately right now GUI is in a state of flux in Pharo but that is
actually a good thing since it definitely needs improvement.

Morphic is very useful to learn because right now is the only GUI API that
works well for Pharo. Bloc is not ready for public consumption and Spec was
never meant for heavily customisable and customised GUIs.

Having to read Morphic code to understand it is definetly painful. For
example for my customised ChronosManager I decided to provide Taskbar
functionality. So I try to copy the taskbar functionality that is
implemented in SystemWindow and adjusted to my needs, it was a nightmare. I
manage to freeze my image several time and it took a ton of trial and error
to figure out how it worked and it still does not behave exactly as I
wanted.

I am still considering to move my entire GUI to Html/JS/CSS , its ugly and
fragmented to work with these technologies but at least they are well
documented and very powerful. This is a reason why I designed a way to use
Python libraries from Pharo. Python libraries are beautifully designed,
well documented and very mature.

So you have plenty of options and there is no reason to limit yourself on a
pure pharo solution. Modern applications are written in multiple languages
and frameworks.

You just use the right tool for the job.