I think I remember this disussed before.
By talking with Pharo I assume here about another program talking to Pharo
? Possible not wrriten in Pharo ?

If thats the case then you can use whatever IPC works better for your
needs. If the communication will be remotely I recommend sockets, for  fast
local communication I recommend shared memory. They are both very mature
technologies , very reliable and cross platform.

Now on the URI protocol, I think that will depend what you want to achieve.
Any string will be easy to parse with Pharo's regex and trigger the
approriate methods. Pharo also have Annoucements, think of it as an event
system that awaits to be triggered by an event, usually a Pharo event but I
see no reason why it cant listen to external events either.

I do not think you will need a middle application , a servel client
relation shipe should be more than enough.

With my Atlas bridge which is a Pharo library that allows you to use Python
libraries I did a neat trick with Pharo that it already communicated with
Python via sockets, sending python commands but also Python could
communicate back errors , then Pharo would trigger the debugger, display
the python error inside the Pharo debugger and the debugger would pop up on
the exact pharo command that send the faulty python code. You could then
change the pharo command on the spot and it was resent and python continued
like the error never happened to retain the all important live coding
workflow.

I created a tiny protocol to difirentia incoming messages talking about
errors from the ones returning python varriable values. Something stupid
like "pythonError: blah blah" but it got the job done