I think all you need is to do a system call out to the OS in order to register
your scheme. For Mac OS it would be sonething like

https://superuser.com/questions/548119/how-do-i-configure-custom-url-handlers-on-os-x

And then you can see if it is what you want. Custom handlers associate a url
scheme to an application binary. I‘m not sure you can use an image with it. So
I would register a shell script and handle the adoption in the script.

Does that help?

Norbert