Btw, I think we gained pace when JS took over the front end, but lost
visibility.  Nothing is slower than coding a client/server app with the front
end in JS. The ‘rise’ of JS is a side effect of the fact that the web was
designed, built and continues to be built by ‘coders’ who don’t know enough to
be called amateurs.

What puts 'coders’ off though is related to way JS is and (mostly doesn’t)
work.  You can’t just sit down and ‘hack on’ Smalltalk until it ‘sorta kinda’
does what you want.  You can’t grab code from some random website and ‘fiddle
with it’ until it ‘sorta kinda’ works. ‘Coders’ can’t make it ‘sorta kinda’
work, and they don’t know how to write code that works.

One of the better JS programmers I’ve worked with said at one point “Engineers
can’t write JavaScript because it doesn’t fit their mentality.  I used to be a
retoucher, I’d spend hours and hours getting one pixel right.  There’s no good
reason that one pixel had to be that way, but the image didn’t ‘go’ otherwise.
JavaScript is like that, you spend hours and hours messing with it, getting it
to work, and at the end you don’t know why it works, nor why it didn’t.  That’s
not an engineer’s mindset.”

Do aviation engineers choose tools based on ‘popularity’? At the same time,
would you want your next flight to be on an aircraft running on JavaScript?  I
wouldn’t eat from a microwave running JavaScript.

I’d rather be an engineer than a popularity contestant or a fashion victim.

In any case, more often than not it’s management that chooses technologies,
generally based on who they have lunch with more than anything else.

Andrew

Sent from Mail for Windows 10