"Thank you! I'm one of those"
"wow.. thank you :D"

"Everybody is of course totally free to do whatever they want, but really,
why the hell would you want to do that ?"

I can think a few million reasons. Vim and Emacs for example with tons of
internal and external tools , handling code, documentation, unit testing,
integration with other languages. The list is very long.

I think for me that I am not a shortcuts person which is usually the reason
why people want to do this, I really like the idea of Workspaces/Projects
in Visual Code. They are great for managing big project especially if you
mix several languages together. Another good reason is dealing with
markdown which is a popular way of documentation and quite convenient. Git
support is extremely well done Visual Code for example tells me each line
what commit is related to and direct acccess with good visualisation of
remote git repositories.

"A big part of what makes Pharo (or any Smalltalk) special is the IDE
written in itself."

There is no doubt that IDE wise Pharo is best to handle refactoring pharo
code, debug etc. But my approach does not lock you down on a single editor.
As I demonstrated in the video you can move easily between Pharo and VS
code and thats the whole point, you can take advantage of the best of both
worlds.

"There is for example https://github.com/dmatveev/shampoo-emacs which
already makes a bit more sense (but even then)."

I am fully aware of emacs shampoo I used to recommend it but not any more
for the simple fact it has not been updated for 6 years. Shampoo also is
not just about code editing its also a port of the smalltalk IDE to emacs.

I am talking strictly code editing here and various other tools that can be
found in those editors that simply do not exist in Pharo, I am not talking
about IDEs. Why not have your cake and eat it too if you can ?

The whole point of my video was how to use external editor with Pharo and
not to replace Pharo completely which I think what you talking about here.
Coding editing in Pharo has still a long way to go, we do not even have an
easy way to setup keyboard shortcuts which is essential not for me but at
least for others.

We all want to live completely inside the image but in reality those
features take time to implement and is a lot of work for our small
community.

By the way neither Emacs, Vim or Visual Studio Code are IDEs.Just powerful
editors with some IDE features and usually most of the features come in
form of extensions that you have install and configure properly.

In any case I will repeat once again the point of the video is how to taker
advantage of nice features in code editors without having to abandon Pharo.
If this convince people to stick with Pharo I think its a win win
situation. Wouldnt you agree ?