Hi,

Maybe Pharo's switch to Tonel remind people now on Java or C# class files and
thats why they ask for the "traditional editing".
But remember that Kent Beck once said: "I mean, source code in files; how
quaint, how seventies!". Tonel is a readable storage format,
you could have the source code even in a database (with an ENVY and STORE like
approach)

And ouch .... that video really hurts and I think it will be more disturbing
than helpful especially to many newbees
now trying to use their favourite text editor for Pharo coding instead of
really learning about a very flexible IDE and workflow with
browsing, interactively inspecting and refactorings.

Abusing an external text editor is a slap in the face of anyone building good
tooling support into Smalltalk over many years.
I know Dimitris tried to help people (as often) - but I guess this video really
gives a false impression and guides people the wrong way.

Sorry - but I'm reminded on pictures like this:

https://i1.wp.com/ecbiz168.inmotionhosting.com/~perfor21/performancemanagementcompanyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/magnet-image-sws-one-no-border.gif

Dont get me wrong: VisualStudio/VisualStudio Code, Eclipse, IntelliJ and others
are nice, I use them too for other languages or tasks. Nicely done - but still
too static. Often I wished only half of the money invested into such IDE's
could have been spend on better Smalltalk tooling.

Remember: once VisualAge for Java got a price as the first usuable Java IDE
(when people used Notepad to write *.java files) - but underneath it was
fully coded in Smalltalk and the Java debugger was the Smalltalk debugger
running the java subset of bytecodes. At that time VisualAge for Smalltalk
was the base for the full VisualAge series (VisualAge for Java, Visual Age for
C++ and others).

But Smalltalk at that time unfortunately was expensive, licensing a problem and
big vendors had to prove one can do deliver similar things with Java too -
leading
to Eclipse and others. But the best part on Eclipse was not Java - it was the
pluggability concept. The extension point mechanisms of the platform provide
a clear separation leading to a nice ecosystem of available plugins - but still
it is hard to write and debug a custom extension.

A Smalltalk environment is still more dynamic, more lively where you can
browse, inspect and adjust nearly anything. And yes - you can even shoot
yourself in the foot.
And yes we know Pharo does not provide fancy widgets yet or latest text editing
features - but this is a tribute to community resources.

>From my experience: if one free's his mind and gives up traditional
>programming habits learned in mainstream languages he will enjoy the Pharo
>journey
much more.

Bye
T.