Hey Ben,

I leave it with this answer, as you suggested, thank you for picking up the ball! First, I admit again, I have thought about it one whole day, if and how I should do this "intervention", which is absolutly not my usual style, but I decided for myself, to be intentionally blunt, provocative, and parade his virtual presence around here in front of all Pharo users... In the hope that this kicks off something and, of course, that it will not be the final word.

I tried to avoid being seen as the hurt one (seems, that I did not quite succeed with this). Javascript is most popular, so R.K. Eng cannot damage this platform with his – let's say... – "opinions", but he can damage Smalltalk and its small community. So I started with making noise, not with the story from my client's managers, who dismissed Pharo, because of his highly ranked Google search results – last year (But in fact, I was annoyed two days ago, I was googling actually a very specific topic about compiler optimization in prototype-based OO, and R.K. Engs ill-informed superficial "lecturing" rants showed up again at third or fourth place, I think, sigh).

Short answers to your questions:

* Yep, one main concern is his connection between Smalltalk advocacy and discrediting other languages – or making dogmatic, condescending and un-empirical statements of strong typing over weak typing, or class-based over prototype-based OO etc. Just separate that clearly. JS has huge momentum (IMHO absolutly justified), and it would be advisable to say something like "Hey, you like JS? Then look at ST, it is similar but the 'original thing', more pure, and takes the basic concepts even further".

* I have to correct myself concerning "wrong statements about ST": it is not so much, that he writes "wrong" things about Pharo, but it is more that R.K.Eng often uses old 1980ies marketing language (like "It is just objects all the way down!"). That was nice back then, a completely new way of thinking, but today, a whole bunch of languages has sprung up from this legacy (dynamic, OO, introspection etc.), among them JS, and have taken the concepts to new forms. His superficial knowledge combined with the over-confident and condescending attitude scares away interested people. The quote I mentioned ("just object all the way down") was one of the blog topics the managers, to whom I tried to advertise Pharo, found ridiculous and laughed at it ("does it work by magic then? What are the primitives and basic value types then?" etc).

* Pushing ones own projects is fine, again. But all his publicity effort have a strong taste (maybe it is cultural), that he wants control public perception of the community (and thus steering it). Being "Mr. Smalltalk" is extremly presumptive, in German it would usually refer to an official spokesperson (I think actually, for native English speakers, too...). And if I remember correctly, he did not get a warm welcome, true, but before that, he showed up without any Smalltalk background and just proclaimed himself the new project/marketing manager, without ever asking, what the community actually needs and what the current state is.

* The top search results in Google are a major concern for every FOSS project...

* If a person constantly and loudly points out that he is "altruistic", and that his self-initiated work (unasked, and reasonably rejected in part) would be worth a lot of money, than this is the opposite of altruistic... Again, maybe a cultural thing.

But yes, I like to see becoming this a success story.
Thank you! M