I enjoyed your comment about connecting with the writer across the
intervening span of time.  This is really what it's all about for me
too -  the joy of learning and benefitting from the wisdom of the
designers.  The need for one clarification comes to mind after reading
your description:

The additional spring barrel option, as equipped standard in the
Laboratory models, would apply to the later (post December 1914) DD
machines.  I believe the earlier models such as the A-200 had motor
boards that weren't set up to accommodate an additional barrel.

Andy Barrel - - I mean - - Baron