and i can tell from Andy's writing that, today at least, he's been
wandering around with a real spring in his step...

yeah, that connection was quite real.  i did the work one evening
soon after 9/11/01 when things were rather weird at the then-present,
so a connection backwards was welcome and comforting.

i really ought to dig those instructions back out and read them
again.  uncle ron dethlefson offers a top-notch reprint of the little
booklet, which is fun to have even if you never find the components
and records.  took me 5 years, finding the gear kit, the reproducer,
the reproducer mounting bracket (needed to store 2 of your Edisonic,
your Long, and your Standard reproducers while the third is in use),
and the 3 LP records i have, separately.  found the records first -
otherwise i may not have pursued it.

i just indulged myself with the thought of how it actually might be
possible to find out the name of that author, due to the huge intact
office archive at the edison site in orange.  and from that, one
could probably find descendants of that individual, and tell them how
cool their forbear was.

but of course, they'd just wonder why you'd wanted to do that and
then cautiously ask you to go away.

ok, i just went and found the booklet, to accurately relate this
little gem:  "Tighten the governor set screw at A and see that the
governor shaft has approximately 1/64 inch end play.  (Estimate this
end play as the least which will permit a slight click to be felt
when the shaft is pressed back and forth lengthwise in its bearings).

booklet has a list of machines and whether they have 1- or 2- spring
barrels.  the A-200 isn't listed, but A-85 and A-100 are, so there's
an implication that some machines can't take the extra barrel.  book
also says that with 2 springs you get 23 minutes playing time.

it's Edison Form No. 4857, from January 1927.  It's 20 pages long.
Let me know if you need Uncle Ron's contact info.