From a...@popyrus.com  Tue Dec 26 19:59:33 2006
From: a...@popyrus.com (Andrew Baron)
Date: Tue Dec 26 20:00:22 2006
Subject: [Phono-L] Yahoo's Electrola group

I found all the submissions interesting food for thought, and I tend
to agree with this conclusion.

I had thought for a while that it might make sense to keep
discussions to prewar machines (wartime production for most radio-
phonograph combinations and phonograph attachments was brought to a
halt around March 1942, so just as with automobiles, there was a
brief '42 model run.  But then the thought that the technology was
little changed in the early post-war years would tend to lump those
years in as well.  So the prewar boundary, although perhaps
artificial becomes a way of defining and limiting content but there's
a lot of cross-over information that would benefit post-war machines.

Since Bakelite and other molded cases coexisted with wood cabinet
machines from the '30s onward, and in light of the 45 and 33 1/3
speeds being introduced about 1948 and 1949, I think the cleanest way
to establish a guideline would be to keep the topics primarily
focused on the records and machines of the 78 rpm era (80 rpm disc
and cylinder included).

Perhaps the most relevant piece of communication had to do with semi
off-topic postings dying off on their own.  The bottom line is that
if someone posts an innocent inquiry to this group because it seems
the logical place to learn the needed information, and one of us can
supply that information, all the better.  After all, it's as much
about passing down the wisdom and knowledge as it is about sharing in
the joy of discovery.

Andy Baron