Its simple really.  Just do this any time you do not have actual first hand
experience that tells you the
correct answer.

Lets assume we are still talking about the post office.

Ask any given postal employee your question and then probe a little further to
insure that they actually
think about the answer they give you.  After receiving answer thank them and
leave.  Return later and
go to a different postal worker that is not aware of your previous visit.  Ask
same question.  Compare
answers.  If they are the same then they pass the symmetry test and have a high
probability of being
correct.  If there is any variation then the symmetry test has failed and more
questions require asking.
With the post office the "show me in the manual" works very well.