My "hi fi" system includes a late '20s University radio driver which must weigh 10 pounds, attached to a formerly oak-grained 10-panel Cygnet horn. For portable use, I have an mp3 player rubber-banded to a set of cheapo amplified speakers, which works remarkably well & fits in the breast pocket of my jackets. I've given several as gifts and recommend them highly . http://tinyurl.com/4eq54zh

----- Original Message ----- From: "Leroy Barco" <leroyba...@abq.com>
To: "Antique Phonograph List" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:43 PM
Subject: [Phono-L] Horn connector for playing an iPod through a cylinder machine

I followed vinyl vision's idea for iPod into machine. I just taped the
speaker on the turnback crook of my Credenza.

It sounds great! Can't see using any other internal horn machine,
except for a fun novelty.
I'll probably find a ruined ortho reproducer to put the speaker on so
I can switch to authentic needle playing.

But it would be a hoot to head out to the beach with the speaker and
iPhone attached to a cygnet horn… tuned to a heavy metal station,
maybe! <grin>

LeRoy

"For $11 and a donor no-name reproducer, you can make one yourself.
Remove the old diaphragm and needle bar and JB Weld this to the
reproducer and Voila.... A Victor MP3 player.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Veho-Portable-Speaker-for-iPod-iPhone-MP3-VSS001360/14066650

Better yet, don't use a reproducer, just a repro replacement rubber
adapter for a Victor..."