Daniel,

Would it make sense to try to integrate the new php_streams into this
extension?
It might give php_streams a push and I'm sure Wez would work with you
fixing any remaining issues.
It would be a nice test bed.
What do you think?

About backwards compatibility, without having read the code it sounds as if
you're doing "the right thing" as opposed to the old module. Do any of the
new function names overlap with the old ones? I'm not quite sure how we
should tackle backwards compatibility here.

Andi