Daniel Beulshausen wrote:

> At 21:23 16.05.2001 +0100, Wez Furlong wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure that the sockets extension would benefit from php_streams as
>> much as php_streams would benefit from the sockets extension, if you see
>> what I mean.
>>
>> I would like to see it using php_streams, as that would result in PHP
>> being
>> much more flexible for the person coding in PHP; they needn't worry about
>> the type of the file handle they pass to any function.
>>
>> To integrate php_streams properly, ext/sockets should converge with
>> fsock.c
>> and use the same underlying sockets implemented as php_streams (it's not
>> too much work).
>>
>> I think it's a good idea to get it done.
>

> i had a quick look at it, but i think it can't be done, due to the
> simple fact that under windows socket descriptors are not file
> descriptors like under unix.
> it could work under NT (file I/O is similiar to unix), but not under the
> 9.x family.
> (but maybe i'm missing somehing)

Well, it probably could be done anyway (abstract it another step).
However, I don't see it really being that beneficial.  The socket
functions provide *low level* access to the system socket features.
There's no real point in abstracting that (I think it gets a bit to
confusing if you do) any further.

-Sterling