Just a quick answer to your question, regarding Cold Fusion.  It does come
with a way to "encrypt" the files.  So, just like PHP, you still have your
text based scripts, but you can encrypt them, so that the source code can
only be seen by Cold Fusion, which un-encrypts it, then runs it.

The down side is the encryption was cracked, so encrypted code really isn't
protected.  In fact, there were several tags that were not publicized, and
were only used in the "Cold Fusion Administrator".  Once the encryption was
cracked, the makers of Cold Fusion had to add the ability to disable the
hidden tags, as the administrator itself had been decrypted.

I share the concern with protecting code.  I use the "obfuscating" process
to try to protect some of my Perl scripts.  The concept would probably work
in a PHP setting.  The concept is to remove all the comments and unnecessary
white space, while also turning all variables into non descriptive names.
This means that PHP can still read it, but it's very difficult for people to
interpret.  Of course, that would only make code tougher to steal.

HTH,

Peter Janett

New Media One Web Services
New Upgrades Are Now Live!!!
Windows 2000 accounts - Cold Fusion 5.0 and Imail 7.1
Sun Solaris (UNIX) accounts - PHP 4.0.6, mod_perl/1.25,
Stronghold/3.0 (Apache/1.3.22), MySQL 3.23.43
PostgreSQL coming soon!

http://www.newmediaone.net
[EMAIL PROTECTED]