> > Actually, with all optimizations on, it seems that my site was
running
> > slower and consuming more CPU cycles when I just used Zend
Optimizer.

>   Sure, since the compilation takes longer due to the optimizations
made.
>   Using the Zend Optimizer makes only sense if a) your application
runs
>   long or b) you cache the bytecode.

Zend claims something else though ...
Zend claims that it improves performance in most situations
("typically"):
http://www.zend.com/store/products/zend-optimizer.php

but yes the Optimizer makes a lot more sense when you actually cache the
result and that is why the Optimizer does more optimizations when used
in conjunction to the encoder or accelerator (I don't know how much the
difference is though).

Best regards,
Lukas Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]