> Apple should be using php.ini for extensions and not require the user to
> call dl() wich is sucky.
> I still am not quite sure why it's such a big deal to add shared
> extensions to php.ini.
> I don't agree that PHP extensions necessarily require dl(). There are
> many programs out there in the computer industry (such as Apache) which
> require you to add extensions in an INI file.

?? Perhaps I'm confused here, but using dl() or calling a module in the
php.ini file is handled in approximately the same way. In one,
the module is loaded at the start, and unloaded when PHP is stopped.
And in two, the module is loaded by the script and unloaded when the
script is finished.

No matter what, you'll still have to use dlopen, dlsym, dlclose to
accomplish this.  Apple provides emulation dlopen, dlsym, dlclose
wrappers for their functions to load dynamic shared objects.

Just patching that apple-provided source into the PHP distribution
should be fairly painless, and resolve all these issues.  I could
look into doing this if someone hasn't already in CVS.

The one thing to remember is that MACH-O kernel differentiates between
a library that is linked and a library that is dynamically opened.

Hence  *.dylib vs *.so ... AFAIK the APPLE OS X is the only OS
that does this, it's a real PITA.

Brad House
Sr. Developer
Main Street Softworks, Inc.