I thought we weren't wasting any more time with this? :)

At 10:54 PM 3/12/2002, Shane Caraveo wrote:
>I am talking about dl.  'should' being the keyword.  I see no reason at all
>that dl should unload the module after the request, and the fact that it
>does seems to be the primary reason there are problems and (probably) its
>getting depricated.

It's actually not the primary reason at all.

Either I completely don't understand you, or you simply don't understand
dl(), or you don't mind violating one of the basic rules of PHP.
If it's option #1, please try to explain again what you mean...
About option #2 - dl() right now, affects the current process (or thread)
only.  If you're talking about something which will change PHP
process-wide, then you are not talking about dl(), but about something else.
About option #3 - if you think dl() should go on working according to its
spec, only not clean up after itself (i.e., load into the current
process/thread only, but stay there at the end of the request), then you're
violating one of the basic concepts of PHP - clean up *everything* after a
request, and have all of the processes/threads in the pool 'equal'.

If you're talking about adding a function that will essentially do what
extension= does in php.ini, only at runtime (i.e., load the module
process-wide, and have it stay there), then you're still violating a basic
rule in PHP (pages will behave differently according to whether or not a
page with the loading statement has been accessed).

In all of what you said, I haven't heard any explanation to why you've
grown to hate php.ini, and frankly, I think that php.ini is more than
sufficient.  With Stas's idea of an auto-load directory, even the
complaints of the text-editor-challenged users will be answered.

In a retaliatory preemptive attempt to end this thread, I also took the
liberty to snip away the rest of your post and end it here, except for one
comment:

>First, Perl is used twice as much as PHP under Apache on top web sites (*).

I'll take the liberty to consider this statement quite baseless, given the
information I've seen.

Zeev