At 20:54 18/08/2002, Thies C. Arntzen wrote:
>     BTW: the code we're talking about is neither magic nor very
>     complex. andi, sorry i you felt me stepping on your feet;-)

And yet you took it from ZE2 a couple of months after it was written, as
opposed to two years ago when ZE1 was already out?  Come on, Thies,
sometimes knowing which algorithm to use and where to put the two lines of
code is the complexity, as it is in this case.

>     zeev, this discussion should be pure technical, any political
>     or personal things should be left off!

I have two reasons, one technical (stability) and one which you may call
political (ZE2).  I don't see anything wrong with taking 'political'
reasons into account.  PHP is a big thing today, we can't treat it in the
same way that we treated it five years ago.

Replying to Rasmus' concern - of course we're not afraid that this tiny
patch will 'eliminate' the motivation of people to move.  It's the state of
mind of php-dev that I'm afraid of.  Much like your perception is that
we're more than a year away from a usable version, and Thies's perception
that we have no roadmap for ZE2 - you can only imagine what other, less
core developers have in mind.  We need to get going with ZE2, and yes,
holding on and keeping goodies for the new version are a way of doing
it.  I did that in lots of features in PHP 4, and frankly, I think it's
very lucky that I did, as the transition from PHP 3 to 4 was VERY
successful.  Imagine if we still had to fix PHP 3 bugs on a daily basis.

Zeev