At 21:58 18/08/2002, Wez Furlong wrote:
>Generally speaking, and please don't take offense, I think that one
>of the problems with ZE2 is that development is slow.  I understand
>that there are several very good reasons for that, but the real
>problem is that there aren't enough people with enough time, knowledge,
>skill and familiarity with ZE to help Andi to push it forward
>(and implement it correctly).

That's actually not correct IMHO.  Most of the work is done.  Testing and
pushing is what's really necessary now.  It took a while, but Andi (helped
by Stas) managed to implement almost all of the features already.  I'm
going to dive into the code as well in the near future, and hopefully help
implementing the last few features.

>Additionally, some things (such as delegation) still don't have a clearly
>defined spec or consensus of opinion (the RFC is good, but could benefit
>from Andi and Stig reviewing the details and finalizing them).
>
>Short of supplying a replacement programmer to take over his real-world
>job, gaffer-taping Andi to his workstation and supplying an IV drip of
>red bull and caffiene, I can't see how else to give ZE2 development
>more momentum :-))

I think that a good start would be laying an 'official' plan for PHP
5.  Whenever I mention PHP 5, people always jump at me saying that ZE2 is
just one of the things that will be new about it.  I even mention it every
time I talk about it.  That's fine, it really is, but it's time to decide
which other things are going to be in it, and decide it while taking the
time frame into account as well.  Both Andi and myself would REALLY like to
see an initial ZE2-enabled version of PHP hitting production sometime early
2003.  There's no technical reason for this not to happen - the bulk of the
work is already done.  There are good 'political' reasons to release PHP 5
early as well - PHP is currently suffering from the limited object model
and the bad interaction with external component models, something ZE2 helps
to solve.
My personal belief is that PHP 5 should not be everything and the kitchen
sink.  It should contain the ZE2, and the big features that will be
production-ready by the time that ZE2-enabled version stabilizes.  As Andi
said numerous times in the past, there's always version 6 if we want to
denote other significant changes.  It will even signal that they're more
significant.

Zeev