At 05:34 PM 12/9/2002 +0100, Marcus Börger wrote:
At 14:52 09.12.2002, Mike Robinson wrote:
Wez Furlong writes:

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Mike Robinson wrote:
> > Sorry. There's just no way this should happen.

> But it has happened, and it's going stay this way.
>
> Now, if you don't have anything positive to contribute,
> please stop stirring up threads like this (again) without
> first understanding the issues behind them.  It just wastes
> time, which is better spent developing, bug fixing,
> documenting - doing just about anything else is more productive.

You are correct in your assumption that I have difficulty
understanding the issues behind this change. After asking several
times for an explanation, and after having gone over the archives
to find some related discussion (and asking for pointers to that
as well), I came to conclusion that this change is totally wrong.
This change has nothing to do with fixing anything. It's breaking
BC in a huge way, at the historical level, for the sake of a minor
convenience for a very small group of users.

Throwing lame excuses at it, like "it's evolution", doesn't cut
it with me. I'm still at the same place. This is just wrong. It
has nothing to do with stirring anything up.

Regards
Mike Robinson
What do you want then? For historical reasons you will allow
us only to introduce total new functionality and bug fixes? No
more improvements that will have any influence on some working
systems out there? Then i'll answer stay where you are and do
not do any version upgrade....

"evolution" is not an excuse here. We want to use PHP on the
command line and many people will do also. And we make the
command line usage as easy as possible. Even if that requires
some mauals being updated and marking some bug reports as
bogus.
<ducking>
Maybe phpsh would be a good idea for the name of the CLI? It wouldn't confuse ppl as much as php-cli
</ducking>

I'm really not that sure it makes sense to rename the CGI from php to php-cgi after such a long time. It's not as if we're breaking BC for the sake of adding very much needed functionality.

Anyway, I'm -0 for the change and +0 to find a more suitable name for the CLI :)

Andi