Rasmus,

The whole point of the list was to avoid threads like this letter is going to spawn. Let's stop it here, please.

John - if you feel you belong in php5-dev(*) and want to actively participate in the discussions, we'll add you. The point of php5-dev was to create a working group for getting PHP 5 out the door in the near future, so we can avoid the 'anywhere in the next two years' time frame. So far, it's working fairly well.

Zeev

(*) I'm pretty sure it's obvious but I'll state it explicitly still - being on php5-dev is not a matter of prestige and not being on it doesn't mean a thing. Being on it means that you'd be actively developing parts of PHP 5. We wanted to come up with the smallest group of people that will be able to be productive, without stalling into endless discussions that can never be resolved. For that reason, we'd be selective on who we add into the list to keep it small, and open it up once we gain enough momentum.

At 18:38 23/01/2003, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, John Coggeshall wrote:

> The reason I ask is that Shane Caraveo and I were working on the thread
> saftey issue, but we couldn't talk about it because we weren't invited
> to the PHP5-DEV list

I had nothing to do with that limited php5 list.  I thought that was
completely bogus myself and argued against it.

-Rasmus