Did any of the "complainants" speak with Mr. Jones either in person or via
the telephone*, before registering their complaints with the Secretaries?

Generally the best way to handle personal issues with another individual is
to address it with that individual personally and privately.

Example:  If my new neighbor makes too much noise at some inconvenient time
of day for me, it's far better for me to go over and tell him or her that
I'm being inconvenienced and ask if maybe we can't find a mutual solution,
than it is for me to call the police and complain.  The latter just makes
an enemy out of someone who might have become a good friend under other
circumstances.

Adversary approaches too often polarize further, resulting in an
unsatisfactory outcome.

I hope my meaning is clear.

*Email or e-chat is inadequate for this kind of conversation, generally, as
it lacks emotive data.  Even the telephone is a poor substitute, lacking
body language, facial expression, etc.