Paul,

Finally, as to the punishment sought, the complainants apparently wish to
> "request a replacement Voting Representative" for the Aura project.
> (Because there is a ready replacement, the Aura project itself is not a
> candidate for being expelled.)

As far as I can tell, this punishment does not provide a remedy for the
> various elements of the complaint. It neither removes my voice from the
> mailing list, nor does it remove the influence of Aura from the group. I
> am left to imagine, then, that there is some other purpose toward which
> this punishment is designed. Maybe it is intended only to be symbolic, or
> perhaps it is a stepping-stone toward some other undisclosed end.

The complainants should specify how removing me as a Voting Representative
> will salve their woes.

These comments tell me two very important things:

1. There have been many who have used your technical skills as the basis of
an argument for maintaining your status as a voting representative, however
you appear to be suggesting that you will still continue to contribute to
the FIG, regardless of the outcome of the vote. This tells me that your
technical skills should not be taken into account in this discussion, as
they will not be lost if you are voted against.

2. It also tells me that even if a majority of the voting representatives
of this group vote decide that your behaviour in this group is
unacceptable, you will continue to ignore their complaints and continue to
behave in exactly the same way as before the vote.

I personally believe that this vote is symbolic and will set a benchmark
for the level of behaviour that the FIG deems acceptable from their voting
members. It is important for the official representatives (i.e. voting
members) of the FIG to foster the sort of community they wish the FIG to
be. If people see a voting member behaving (in their opinion) badly, they
will form that view of the FIG itself. Some may find your behaviour
acceptable, but others (including myself) do not, and this reflects on the
FIG as a whole.

That said, there is still time for you to open a discussion to seek to
actually improve things for everyone, rather than simply holding your
ground and making careful arguments designed to sway voters to your side.
You (and many others!) expect those who find your behaviour unacceptable to
change, but you yourself refuse to change to make things easier for them
too. It's hard to find a middle ground when you won't come out from behind
your walls to negotiate.

Thanks,
~Stephen