Hi all,

> On Aug 9, 2016, at 11:54, Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com> wrote:
>
> But FIG can and should evolve along with PHP.  We've done it before.  The FIG
> of 2009 is not at all what we are today.

To be clear, those changes were not the result of "evolution" in any natural
sense.  Those changes are the result of "people writing specific rules with
specific goals in mind" (i.e., "creationism").  I assert that those creations
have not always been for the better.

> When the entirely cowboy-free-for-all way of working on specs broke down, we
> changed the process and added more formality.  (FIG 2.0, which added the
> formal Editor, Sponsor, and Coordinator.)

I think "broke down" qualifies as an overstatement.

I recall that Phil Sturgeon's impatience got the better of him during the
discussions over my work on what would become known as PSR-4, which drove the
building of the workflow bylaw.  (I find that somewhat amusing, since Phil was
caused the first cancelled vote on that PSR by editing the text under vote, and
he himself pulled the vote again a second time later after the workflow bylaw
was in place.) So the only thing that "broke down" were some of the
participants, not the process.

Larry probably remembers the writing of the bylaw, since he was part of it, as
was I. Here's one related link:

  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/php-fig/qHOrincccWk/rra3DpRD9f4J

That's not "breaking down" so much as "someone pushing a change."  I recall
being mostly OK with the state of the PSR process before that, but memories do
fade.

--

Paul M. Jones
http://paul-m-jones.com