On Friday 17 September 2004 23:21, Sam Hobbs wrote:

> Again, it is okay to say this once but it is not useful to keep insisting.
> I am smart enough to be aware of the possibility and if and when other
> possibilities have been exahausted I would have tried the possibility of
> disabling the firewall or whatever. Insisting upon it from others is not
> productive; it is more likley to polarize me in the opposite direction and
> get us to where we are now. It is the emotional commentary that is most
> unproductive. I try to explain (unemotionally and in a reasonable manner)
> that I don't need the additional assertion that I must try something and
> the response to that becomes emotional.

Being obstinate and contrarian does nothing to help resolve your problem. Time
for another:

[quote from a Sam Hobbs post in reply to Jason Davidson]
> It is my understanding that the firewall is not supposed to be relevant. I
> have not seen anything saying it is supposed to be. If it is true that it
> is not supposed to be relevant, then simply saying it is just causes
> confusion. If you had said that the firewall is not supposed to be
> relevant, but try disabling it anyway, then I would say that I am totally
> able to think like that too. It is reasonable to try things like that to
> diagnose a bug.
[quote]

Would I be correct if I paraphrased the above as:

The wrong way to get Sam Hobbs to try something that might help in solving his
problem:

[JD] The firewall might be blocking your attempts to connect to mysql. Try
disabling it.
[SH] Yeah and what makes you think that? I KNOW the firewal has nothing to do
with it. Get real (and go away).

The right way to get Sam Hobbs to try something that might help in solving his
problem:

[JD] The firewall has nothing to do with your problem. But try disabling it
anyway.
[SH] Yeah that sounds reasonable. Thanks, I'll try that.

How silly is that?