"Markus Mayer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> It is our experience at my employer that the firewall in XP-SP2, as well
> as
> other firewalls that are available, are very relevant.

Thank you. I have not seen anything that states that explicitly. I doubt
that SP2 makes a difference; the main reason I mentioned it is just to be
thorough. I am nearly certain that the XP firewall, including the XP-SP2
version, is turned off.

> We also have not seen any documentation about "problems" with such things
> after installing SP2, but we have problems.  Things that worked before
> don't
> work any more, especially client side things.  Our three small Windoze
> servers have given our Windoze administrator more than enough work
> recently.

Supposedly there is something that is about 30 pages that lists hundreds of
incompatibility problems. Therefore it is likely that most of the "don't
work any more" problems are identified by Microsoft.

> flame blocked by firewall.....

Then ignore it. Just calling it a flame is likely to add fuel. I prefer to
limit the discussion to facts, which is not happening in this discussion.
The word "flame" is usually an unnecessary emotional expression

> SP2 is so new that its effects are still being evaluated by a lot of
> people.
> At the moment, I think the best place to get information about its effects
> is
> forums like this one.  Formal documentation will be updated in time as
> more
> experience is gained.  The info I got from our Windows admin is that with
> SP2, the MS SQL server on one machine was apparenty unaffected, but the
> MySQL
> on another was.  Dropping the MS Firewall in SP2 allowed connections
> again.
>
> Client side, SP2 has caused nothing but problems for us to the point where
> we
> as administrators are now saying to our users "it was working before you
> installed SP2, and after you installed SP2 it stopped working, so it's
> your
> problem".  IE is especially problematic, and when someone calls up and
> says
> they have a problem with IE and have installed SP2, our response is that
> we
> no longer support IE and tell the users to install Mozilla, and if they
> still
> have problems when they try Mozilla, they can call us back.  We haven't
> heard
> from any of them again, and our help desk girls have always been able to
> quickly sort out the problems users have when they first try Mozilla.

Again, I doubt that SP2 is actually relevant, especially if I am correct
that I am not using the firewall. If I am correct that it is not relevant,
then dwelling on it is the type of thing causes confuson about what is
usefull

I am not aware of any problem caused by SP2 except that it makes a little
more work for me due to it's increased security and ti complains about a few
things that I see no reason for it to complain about. I hope that if it is
causing a problem I will be able to determine that but so far I have no
reason to believe SP2 is relevant here.

> I looked back in this thread and saw that you used Zone Alarm as a
> firewall.
> You need to allow MySQL connections to localhost, and that regardless of
> which firewall you use.  If you filter such connections out, PHP scripts
> will
> not be able to connect to your MySQL server.  This is because PHP makes a
> TCP
> connection to the MySQL server, also when it is running on the same
> machine
> as you PHP/Apache (at least this is my understanding).  You can of course
> continue refuse all external (that is not from localhost) connections to
> whatever service is running on your machine.  I think something to this
> effect has already been said in this thread, but at the moment I don't
> want
> to search for the post.

Again, it is okay to say this once but it is not useful to keep insisting. I
am smart enough to be aware of the possibility and if and when other
possibilities have been exahausted I would have tried the possibility of
disabling the firewall or whatever. Insisting upon it from others is not
productive; it is more likley to polarize me in the opposite direction and
get us to where we are now. It is the emotional commentary that is most
unproductive. I try to explain (unemotionally and in a reasonable manner)
that I don't need the additional assertion that I must try something and the
response to that becomes emotional.

> While the flame war in this thread has been amusing to read, it's
> amusement
> value for me has more or less run out.  My impression is that you still
> don't
> have the thing working, and the only solution left is to configure your
> firewall to allow connections to your MySQL server from localhost.  If you
> would do this, and it works, please post to the list to reflect this.  My
> experience as an administrator tells me with a 99% certainty that this is
> your problem.

Again, it is unproductive to repeat the same thing over and over. When
someone repeats it, I have a tendency to respond to that. We have now gotten
to the point where the discussion is unproductive. It is best that I don't
say anything more on the subject.