[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm going to be controversial here and take issue with both of you.
>
> 1. The original question was about a hosting provider. Presumably a PHP web
> hosting provider.  So it is vaguely on-topic and is a question that's asked a
> lot.  It's easy to get a list of hosting providers online, but I believe the
> intent was to ask for people's opinions on providers they've used and to give
> testimonials (which you won't always find on hosting lists).

you presume a php hoster, but the OP didn't even bother to mention that (and
how often do people post here
even when they *know* this is not the place at all) - additionally if the OP
had searched the archives he would
never have had to ask the question (plenty of recommendations/testimonials have
been offered in response to similar
questions in the [recent] past)

> 2. Pointing out someone's signature as being off topic is even further off
> topic for this list. Please take personal issues into private email.  I bring
> it up publicly as a reminder of proper list etiquette for anyone who happens
> to be reading this thread and to discourge this from going any further
> publicly.

Roman N. has been posting quite alot here recently and his signature has been
the 'Vietnam Vet'
one for all that time AFAIR. Tedd has never mentioned it before and I am
willing to bet that today was
not the first time he had seen it - I don't think Tedd was bringing up a real
issue so much as pointing
out that the 'off topic' gripes cuts many ways.

I don't quite get the "don't do as I do, do as I" say part at the end of your
second point; well I do
but I just think that it's a bit anal. I find getting all worked up about
'proper list etiquette' rather twisted,
given that every 60 seconds a child dies due to lack of food/water (you get the
picture)

that said I've never had much with potentially offensive signatures -  I find
my posts are, quite often, offensive to some people all by themselves ;-)

> Now.. back to the original question.

nah lets keep it ot shall we. :-) (your reply was helpful for the OP to be sure
:-)