I must be lucky or something, 'cause the place that hired me basically
said, "we're developing this, you're coding it, get it done." I was
actually told that we'd be going with PostgreSQL and not MS SQL or Oracle
or whatever, which was cool to begin with, but the rest of the details (web
server platform, etc.) were left up to me.

So I kind of went with PHP right off the bat because I needed something
that lent itself to quick coding. I had never really developed much in PHP
before hand, but now we've got enough lines of PHP code to choke a camel.

Last week I looked at some VBScript/ASP code that I kind of need to port to
PHP. I was mortified.