Andrei Zmievski wrote:
> Yes, they can just check out a certain subdirectory of phpdoc along with
> the top one and keep it that way.
>
> cvs co -l phpdoc
> cvs co phpdoc/en
>
> Then they only have to use cvs upd without -d option to update only
> files existing in their local working copy.

i know that this is possible, but it is very unconvenient IMHO

first, "cvs co -l phpdoc" would not be enough, as you'll need the
dbxml-, images- and perhaps howto-subdirectories, too

and not using the -d option is leading to problems whenever a new
subdirectory is added to the toplevel or 'en'-directory

ok, right now this does not happen that often, but i'm also thinking
about
an improved translation infrastructure that would pull in english
versions at the function level instead of the extension level as we
have it now (we have a lot of translations that are not that up to date
right now, but usually this hurts due to missing functions that were
added after the translation and not so much due to the translated
parts being outdated)

this mechanism would most likely require the current xml files in
the functions subdirectory to be split up into seperate files for
each function all living together in extension-specific subdirectories
under functions
here every new extension would require its own new subdirectory
and this is where working without '-d' would be, lets say, suboptimal

so after all i'd prefere to have the translations as seperate modules
in CVS

nothing would change for those of us only working on the original

translators would have to check out the original first as usual with

  cvs co phpdoc

and would have to additionaly get their translation language(s) of
choice

  cd phpdoc
  cvs co -d de phpdoc-de

for example
(similar to what you have to do with Zend and TSRM in the php4 source)

this is a little additional inconvenience on the initial checkout but
after that you don't have to worry about your cvs settings anymore

--
Hartmut Holzgraefe  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.six.de  +49-711-99091-77