On Thu, 10 May 2001, Hartmut Holzgraefe wrote:
> i know that this is possible, but it is very unconvenient IMHO
>
> first, "cvs co -l phpdoc" would not be enough, as you'll need the
> dbxml-, images- and perhaps howto-subdirectories, too

So? cvs upd -d howto dbxml should do quite nicely.

> and not using the -d option is leading to problems whenever a new
> subdirectory is added to the toplevel or 'en'-directory

Since en/ is your main working directory you can just run cvs upd -d
from there when you want to update or put "upd -d" in your .cvsrc file.

> ok, right now this does not happen that often, but i'm also thinking
> about
> an improved translation infrastructure that would pull in english
> versions at the function level instead of the extension level as we
> have it now (we have a lot of translations that are not that up to date
> right now, but usually this hurts due to missing functions that were
> added after the translation and not so much due to the translated
> parts being outdated)

Having each function in a separate file? Ack..

> so after all i'd prefere to have the translations as seperate modules
> in CVS
>
> nothing would change for those of us only working on the original
>
> translators would have to check out the original first as usual with
>
>   cvs co phpdoc
>
> and would have to additionaly get their translation language(s) of
> choice
>
>   cd phpdoc
>   cvs co -d de phpdoc-de
>
> for example
> (similar to what you have to do with Zend and TSRM in the php4 source)
>
> this is a little additional inconvenience on the initial checkout but
> after that you don't have to worry about your cvs settings anymore

I suppose if there is a really big desire for this from more than one
person, than we could setup aliases in CVSROOT/modules for phpdoc:

phpdoc -a !de !it !nl phpdoc
phpdoc-de -d de phpdoc/de

Or something like that.

-Andrei

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where
all the bad girls live.  -- George Carlin