[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm against a split into different languages. 23 MB could be handled even
> with my old 14.4 kB modem. Look at the size for phpweb.

come on, egon!

both of us are interested in having a complete version of the manual
sources (although for slightly different reasons), but the average
manual writer and translator is not

and it's not only about the additional megabytes on checkout,
having all the translations is slowing down updates, too,
whenever someone works on a translation one is not really
interested in
(and we had a lot of big patches to languages not that interesting
 to the common manual contributor in the past)

> All the years I have used "cvs -z9 update -dP" and had no problems. With
> branching and so on I have problems.

branching is a very different story,
but yes, having '-d' as a default in .cvsrc should not harm

> I have discussed this with Hartmut. This is a nice idea, but there is
> actually now way to split the manual into subdirectories (extensions) and
> then each function in a separate file.

no way?
the actual split is easy, that's exactly what XML parsers are goog for.
the actual question is: is the gain worth the effort?

there are two pros:
- no more missing functions in translations
- more structure in the file system

and some cons:
- a possible performance hit
- a vastly increased number of files (might affect cvs update
performance)
- one big mega-patch and loss of history information in CVS

so it is not realy a 'nice' idea, but i guess a solution to the missing
function problem would be worth it if it performes well enough

> I can live with the current situation. If not I'll remove some unecessary
> functions to keep the manual small. rtfm() for example :)

you can, and i can, too

but why should we really force everyone to have copies of every
translation
if (and only if) we can find an easy way of just giving them the parts
they really need

imagine you would have started working on the manual right now without
knowing
anything about the infrastructure and how it grew

wouldn't you ask
"What the f... am i supposed to do with all theese foreing language
stuff?",
especially when the fist mega-patch to a foreing language subdirectory
hits
your line while nothing has changed on the parts you are interested in?

--
Hartmut Holzgraefe  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.six.de  +49-711-99091-77