OK, just before we do anything with this steams stuff, we need to define our
further goals. As the Zend API docs and the extending PHP 3 section of the
manual are "too developer specific", and there is more PHP developer
documentation to come, we already discussed a split of the manual into
two <book>s, a PHP Developers Manual and a PHP Users Manual.

This would obviously have a great effect on the build system. The question
is
if we need translations of the PHP Developers Manual (I don't think so), as
was also have no translation system for the phpdoc howto, and I think this
is the right way. PHP Developers should know English, as all the
documentation, code comments, etc. should be in English...

So my suggestion would be to open a "phpdoc-dev" module and put all the
developer related docs there. This would mean that the PHP Users Manual
would only contain "userland" documentation, making it a much useable
resource for PHP developers. I think 1-2% of PHP programmers need to
know about the Zend API or the inners of the streams API. As know we have
one chapter for developers (streams), one part for developers (zend),
and one appendix (php3devel), I would be quite confused as a user of this
manual, what is the information aimed at ME.

So as far as I see, the real solution (TM) is to split the manuals, open a
new
module (phpdoc-dev) and put php3devel and streams there. It would also
mean a new separate manual package for download, and so the users
manual and translated versions would only contain information about PHP
and the inner APIs...

Thoughts?

Goba