On Jul 9, 2009, at 7:18 PM, Niel Archer wrote:

Why is this a problem? SVN revision numbers are incremental as well.
I don't see the difference between tying a translation to CVS-123456
and SVN-123456?

I'm not particularly familiar with CVS (fortunately), so someone please
correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it gives each file a revision
number to uniquely identify its version. Where as SVN only has a single
revision number for the entire repository.

It is true that SVN increments the rev number on each commit. However, if you use the ID keyword (or REV keyword), it will only be updated when the file is changed, not when other files are changed and committed.

As Hannes asks in another email in this same thread, is knowing how far out of sync a translation is really a useful feature? Isn't it enough to know that something is no longer in sync?

And to which I would add: wouldn't it be great if we could simplify things by dropping existing functionality in exchange for _______ (fill in the blank)?

In my own work I am constantly bogged down by clients' needs to maintain existing (10-year old) functionality that almost nobody uses. I wish some of the translators or other doc people would chime in on this. By dropping this functionality we could speed things right along and make everyone's life easier (just a suggestion, please be kind in your replies...)

Too bad Subversion doesn't have a $Log$ keyword to help translators see what changes have been made to a source file:
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#log-in-source

Ted Stresen-Reuter
http://tedmasterweb.com