On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 22:35 +0100, G. T. Stresen-Reuter wrote:
> As Hannes asks in another email in this same thread, is knowing how
> far out of sync a translation is really a useful feature? Isn't it
> enough to know that something is no longer in sync?

In my opinion the issue is not about knowing how far out of sync a
translation is but about the correspondence between the version/revision
of the original English file and the version/revision of the translated
file.
For example let's say that I (as a translator) took a vacation for two
weeks. During this time a file has been updated and committed four
times. When I return the system indicates that the file has changed. But
it is not enough for me to know. I must know precisely what changes
occurred in the English file between the current revision and four
revisions back so I can update the translated file accordingly.
Otherwise I must review the entire file, which is not practical to say
the least :-)

The difference between revision numbers gives a false impression about
how far out of sync a file is. A more important indicator would be the
size of the "diff".

Regards,
Simon.