----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas Hackert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Saturday, April 29, 2006 6:10 am
Subject: Re: [l10n process] PLEASE READ : OpenOffice.org Translation

> Hello Damien, *,
> On Sunday 30 April 2006 06:36, Damien Donlon wrote:
> <snip>
> > For the purpose of testing we are providing content in the
> > following languages :
> >
> > de cs fr it nl
>
> I will try to help with the Germanophone translation ... ;)
>
> <snip>
> > These 2 documents will provide enough information to get you
> > started :
> >
> > Introduction :
> > http://86.43.75.142/oo-translation/index.html
> > Overview of the Process :
> > http://86.43.75.142/oo-translation/translation-howto.html
> >
> > You can view translation statistics generated on the source code
> > yesterday here :
> > http://86.43.75.142/oo-translation/stats/HEAD/index.html
>
> Thanks for this information :)
>
> <snip>
> > Please email the alias or me personally with your feedback &
> > questions If you see any issues with this methodology for doing
> > OO.org translation then I want to here about it. All going well,
> > the next steps are to implement your feedback and move the
> > content off the test machine and on to OpenOffice.org.
>
> I have some questions ... ;)
> As I read through the links above, I have not found any description
> how we translators should handle errors in the English strings (or
> I am too blind or too dumb ... ;) ).
> Think of the following scenario:
>
> - As I am involved in the Germanophone Help Review, I have started
> to translate the missing strings
> in /de/helpcontent2/source/text/shared.po file. Now I found a
> description of something, where I think it is true in SO/StarSuite,
> but not in OOo. How should I handle this? Translate it anyway? Add
> a comment somewhere?
>
> - Or I may find a string in the translation, where I think, it is
> OOo 1.x related. Do I have to switch the language of the UI every
> time to verify it (if so, I think this would not be very
> newbie-friendly ... ;) )? Or how should we handle this case?
>
> - And how should I handle spelling or grammar mistakes? Need I to
> cvs checkout the English sources as well, correct the mistake
> there, commit my correction, wait a couple of hours/days and update
> my Germanophone sources again? Or does it reach to add a comment
> somewhere and then it would be handled by a script/a developer?

These are good questions and I'll have to think about them a bit but as things
stand now, the English messages that are used to determine what you translate
are taken directly from the sources. The content of the PO CVS is merged
against these. Consequently, if you were to change an Enghlish message in the
PO files then the background scripts would find no English equivalent from the
extracted sources and consequently your English changed message would not be
kept.

So in short, if the English message is not fixed in the sources first then it
cannot be fixed in the translated. As soon as the English message changes then
it will appear in the PO CVS as an untranslated message.

How often do translators have to change English messages? What is the current
methodology for doing so?

Regards,
Damien