Hi Thomas,

I do not mean to change the English string in the file I am
translating, but in the English source ... ;)
Does the answer above make sense? Basically, English changes to
the sources are populated automatically into the PO files.
English changes to the PO files are not recommended.

These sentences are something, what I do not understand ... :( Do you mean English changes in the German PO file or in the English one?

You cannot change the english strings (that would be displayed in OOo userinterface or the online help) by changing a .po - File. This is because english is the "source" for all translations. So you would need to change the source (code) of either UI strings or help files. This is a different process. We do only speak about translation here, assuming, that english strings are correct (and therefore don't need to be changed).

André