Hey Tom
>From the little experimenting I've done, fall off is significantly reduced
by  a circularly curved film plane. Especially if the radius of the curve is
about the focal length. It's just hard to bend film holders & Polaroid film
packs.. 8o)
andy

-----Original Message-----
From: pinhole-discussion-admin@p at ???????
[mailto:pinhole-discussion-admin@p at ???????]On Behalf Of Tom Miller
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2003 12:09 AM
To: pinhole-discussion@p at ???????
Subject: RE: [pinhole-discussion] 6x22 pinhole camera coverage?!

Guillermo wrote:

The aperture is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is the ratio width
of format to focal length (corner-corner distance to focal length if one
wants to be exact). The ratio of that camera is 3.6 which in theory will
have a 4.25 stops fall off at the sides with respect to the center, this
kind of fall off is horrendous for glass photography, but for pinhole
images, in practice, it doesn't  look as big as one may think, IMO.  As an
example, this image http://members.rogers.com/gpenate/greek.jpg is a portion
of a larger image made with a camera with ratio 3 width/focal length, that
should give a fall off of 3.4 stops at the top and bottom of the image with
respect to the center, and if you ask me, it doesn't look that big of a fall
off.

This put two questions in head.  First, would a concave film plane reduce
the fall off ratio?  Optimally, the film plane could be curved in a way that
makes the entire film plane equally distant from the pinhole.  I looked at
the 6x22 camera's photo on the silver-whatever web site and it looked like
it could possibly have a curved film plane, although I couldn't tell if
would be hemisperical like the Mottweiler Pinoramic.

Second, what is the formula that you used to calculate the fall off?  I'm
curious because I've been doing a fair bit of extreme wide-angle stuff
lately and it doesn't seem like the light falls off as much as one would
think.  It is a flat film plane camera with a 1:3.7 ratio.  I've read a rule
of thumb that at 30 degrees the fall of is one stop and that at 45 degrees
it is two stops.  It seems like there is a possibly handy formula in there.

Thanks,
Tom