Hmm, well let's see.

i originally began with the idea of places where people go to reclaim the
past. for example, diners. i go to diners all the time, and a friend of
mine started talking to me about the idea of authentic space. like, in the
50's diners were kind of this ideal for the future. all stream lined and
chrome and neon. now diners are this ideal of the past. this space where
people feel like they are part of something authentic. we also talked about
how yuppie artist types get apartments in more urban areas, and nouveau
bourgoise people buy industrial type buildings and turn them into living
spaces so they can feel more conntected to the working class that they've
left behind. this is all architectural theory that she had been reading.

it got me very interested. so i've been shooting authentic space. i started
off just doing diners and thrift stores, but i've now started relying more
on my instincts, shooting whatever feels like authentic space, rather than
defining it by these specific criteria.

so there you have it. more sociological than truth in pinhole relations of
time and space.

cheers,

steve

--- Steve Bell
--- veracity...@earthlink.net
--- http://www.unbeknownst.org/~insurrective /
http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/insurrection
--- In fact, rock, rather than being an example of how freedom can be
achieved within the capitalist structure, is
     an example of how capitalism can, almost without a conscious effort,
deceive those whom it oppresses...So
     effective has the rock industry been in encouraging the spirit of
optimistic youth take-over that rock's truly
     hard political edge, it's constant exploration of the varieties of
youthful frustration, has been ignored
     and softened.  --Michael Lydon