> Hi Ray,
>
> I sure agree with you and your approach.  I do think though that there
are no 'standards' and the concept of editioning in photography is not
as straight forward as it is in printmaking.

> This means that there is a lot of confusion about it in photography,
and I continue to believe that a lot of 'editioning' in photography is
done for monetary and not artistic/pratical reasons.

Thank you Cris.

I agree there are no standards in photography but that might be because
there has been no leadership in this area.  Remember, that although
editioning began in ernest around the turn of the century it wasn't
really until the 50's that it took hold to the extent it is used today.
I have a large collection built around printmaking in the 30's and many
are not editioned.

A major force behind making editioning a standard was the creation of
major workshops in printmaking such a Tamarind.  They wrote the "bible"
on the subject and everyone just followed the leader.  In photography
you do not have the large cooperative workshops to the extent you do in
printmaking and thus a lack of a strong central driving force for
setting standards.  Perhaps having a 1,000 pound litho or etching press
to carry around makes print centers practical whereas anyone can carry a
camera and put a darkroom in the bath.  The two disiplines just come
from different backgrounds.

As an aside, I am amazed at how many who responded to this thread are
actually from printmaking backgrounds.  It would be fun to find out how
many members of this forum are basically printmakers and how many
photographers.  I think you will find more printmakers crossing over to
photography than photographers crossing over to printmaking.  The reason
is simple - printmakers are into photoetch, Toray Plate, Solarplate and
other photo techniques which require them to learn some photo
approaches.  I find most photographers have no interest in learning
printmaking.  This is one reason why when we decided to build our second
art center for photography we elected to put it right next to the print
center so artists could cross over as they pleased.

> Hey, if my prints sell better when they are 'editioned' who am I to
blow against the wind!?

I agree
Ray