On 2010-05-01 23:08-0500 Geoffrey Furnish wrote:

> Alan W. Irwin writes:
> > On 2010-05-01 21:26-0500 Geoffrey Furnish wrote:
> > > What is the simplest statement of the commumdrum?
> >
> > If you apply the following patch
> >  [...]
> >
> > in accordance with Hez's arguments above, then plshade and plshades quit
> > working (blank results or one giant triangle result) under certain (but not
> > all) circumstances for the Python and Tcl examples.  What has us both
> > puzzled is why does this minor (and probably well-justified) change matter
> > for Tcl and Python but no other bindings?  If we can figure out those
> > special circumstance and eliminate them, then we can go ahead with the above
> > cleanup which also benefits Hez's new transformation work.
>
> Okay.  I'll try to peer into this and see if I can remember why we set it up
> that way when we wrote the Tcl binding eons ago.

I have just solved this for Python.  See the revision 10962 commit message
for details which involved the default pltr0 result for the human-friendly
variations of the plshade and plshades argument lists.  We don't actually
want pltr0 for examples 15 and 21.  Instead, we want NULL.  (A complicating
issue is the documentation says pltr0 and NULL are interpreted identically
but they are not!)

I didn't want to change that human-friendly python default so I changed the
examples instead to be explicit about asking for a NULL pltr result, and
the Postscript results are identical to the C versions even with pltr_data
checks dropped at the C level.

As I recall, those Python user-friendly argument list variation defaults
were all copied from Tcl so I imagine the same issue exists there, and I
hope to apply the same fix (specify NULL explicitly for pltr in the affected
examples).  I will look at that shortly unless you beat me to it.