On 2010-09-27 09:06+0200 Arjen Markus wrote:

> Hi Hazen, Alan,
>
> On 2010-09-24 18:45, Hazen Babcock wrote:
>> Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>
>>> Hi Hazen:
>>>
>>> I am pretty sure I can stabilize the pllegend API sometime this
>>> weekend which should finish my PLplot development work for this
>>> release cycle.  Is the 5.9.7 development release still on for next
>>> weekend?
>>
>> Yep, assuming that there are no objections.
>>
>> -Hazen
>>

> Is the pllegend stuff sufficiently evolved to be propagated to the
> other languages? I have not done anything there yet, myself, as
> I waited for the API to settle. If so, is a week sufficient time
> to bring everything up-to-date for everybody? (I think I will be
> able to do this.)

I finished the internal change to pllegend so that clipping occurs at
subpage boundaries and not viewport boundaries.  The only thing beyond
that I plan for pllegend is documentation.  Also, after the release I
plan refinements to plstrl (which is called by pllegend to align the
background), but that is entirely separate project and nothing to do
with the pllegend API.

Thus, I think pllegend is ready for prime time, but the API needs
review by somebody else before we propagate. I have asked Hez for such
a review since he is keen on the API question.  It's important to
finish that review before the release for obvious reasons.
Furthermore, if that review is completed early (today, Monday, would
be ideal) rather than later this week, then we have a chance to
propagate pllegend before the release and test all those propagated
changes.  Otherwise, we should probably wait until after the release
to avoid any substantial untested PLplot changes just before the
release.