On 2014-01-24 09:01-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> Would you be willing to write a README file at
> https://github.com/hailiang/go-plplot/tree/master/c/check that would
> help a Go Newbie like me to run your checker?

Hi Hǎiliàng:

I realized you could not respond immediately to that request because
it is night time in your time zone, so here is what I have tried so far
following what various go language tutorials have said.

I eventually had partial success.  Note, some of these steps are
erroneous, but you (or I) could edit them for the README file into the
successful subset of steps that need to be done to allow someone
else to use your check code.

I installed the gccxml and golang Debian stable packages.

I then tried the following:

irwin@raven> export GOPATH=/home/irwin/go
irwin@raven> cd $GOPATH
irwin@raven> go get github.com/hailiang/go-plplot/tree/master/c/check
package github.com/hailiang/go-plplot/tree/master/c/check
         imports github.com/hailiang/go-plplot/tree/master/c/check
        imports github.com/hailiang/go-plplot/tree/master/c/check: import
"github.com/hailiang/go-plplot/tree/master/c/check": cannot find package

The "go get" command actually downloaded about ~100 files before that
error, including, e.g.,
/home/irwin/go/src/pkg/github.com/hailiang/go-plplot/c/check/util.go
/home/irwin/go/src/pkg/github.com/hailiang/go-plplot/c/check/main.go
/home/irwin/go/src/pkg/github.com/hailiang/go-plplot/c/check/xmldoc.go

At least one issue (I found later with 1.2) was the "tree/master" in
the above "go get" command which should have been removed, but before
I realized that issue, I thought maybe the trouble might be due to my
old version (1.0.2) of the golang package from Debian stable so I used
apt-src to build the Debian testing version of golang and installed
all the go-related *.deb packages that were built by apt-src.

That gives me access to 1.2, e.g.,

irwin@raven> go version
go version go1.2 linux/amd64

With that version after removing everything in GOPATH I tried

irwin@raven> cd $GOPATH
irwin@raven> go get github.com/hailiang/go-plplot/c/check
irwin@raven> go build github.com/hailiang/go-plplot/c/check

with no issues, and $GOPATH/check was built as a result.  However, I then tried
following up on that nice success with

irwin@raven> $GOPATH/bin/check \
-header=/home/software/plplot_svn/HEAD/plplot_allura/include/plplot.h \
-apixml=/home/software/plplot_svn/HEAD/plplot_allura/doc/docbook/src/api.xml
plplot.h:36:22: error: plConfig.h: No such file or directory
plplot.h:120:19: error: pldll.h: No such file or directory
[...]

where [...] stands for a whole host of error messages because of those
missing configured headers.  I then tried running the same command from the
(PLplot build tree) directory where the configured plConfig.h and
pldll.h are located, but still they cannot be found so the above
error messages are still the result.  Finally, I copied plplot.h
from the source tree to the build tree location where plConfig.h
and pldll.h are located and used -header=plplot.h from that
directory ==> partial success!

(Note, a more convenient method for finding the required files would
simply be to allow the user to specify the top directories of the
PLplot source tree and PLplot build tree, and then let the check
programme figure out the correct locations of plplot.h, the configured
headers, and api.xml from that information.)

The check app I built as above ran OK, but I labelled it only as a
partial success because it was the first version you created which
errored out on the first count mismatch rather than continuing. Did
you forget to commit your added work on check or do I have to change
the location above (github.com/hailiang/go-plplot/c/check) to
something else to get access to your latest version of check (which
should continue past the count mismatch, compare the types, and
possibly even implement the more convenient method I suggested above
for finding the required files).