That stackoverflow page has a clearer explanation than I've seen, that is
is dwarf2 exception  in compiler .vs. sjlf in linker (?) or some-such, and
the quote:

*I fixed that. What I've had wrong was in toolchain as a compiler I've had
i686-pc-mingw32-gcc-4.6.0.exe but as a linker: mingw32-g++.exe. I've change
it to i686-pc-mingw32-g++.exe and problem is solved. Thanks.* –
gives me some hope.  Is there a way to tell if a given package was compiled
with dwarf or with sjlj (or other).

 my gcc version is 4.8.2 which as I thought used dwarf, but
D:\home\greg>gcc --version
gcc (i686-win32-sjlj, Built by MinGW-W64 project) 4.8.2

.  mingw32-xxx reside in /mingw/bin but the compiler I see,
i686-w64-mingw32-xxx resides on /ming32.  My path is
".:/local32/bin:/mingw32/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/c/Windows:
..." and there are clearly different libstdc files
 1000974 Oct  5  2013 /mingw/bin/libstdc++-6.dll
   883200 Dec  5  2013 /mingw32/bin/libstdc++-6.dll

  So that gives me a start.   Here's a clue: these are evidently support
libraries since
the mingw32 version tells me it goes with sjlj.
/mingw/bin/libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
/mingw32/bin/libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll

to get a decent terminal response, I jump to a CMD shell which until today
I only
had mingw/bin in its path. now i set the path:
e:\python27;D:\cmd;d:\bin;e:\mingw\mingw32\bin;e:\mingw\bin;D:\programs;C:\Windows\system32;
 and lets see ...

 ok that solves this issue: I had kept a copy of the (dwarfish) libstdc++-6
in the general programs directory, rather than improvig hte path to point
to the correct version, which I know now is sjlj in /mingw32.

 Was I really supposed to know all this to run a program?  I suppose that
is a pitfall
of combining different systems under one roof.

Thanks alot guys, looking at this simple example clears up a lot of things
for me in other areas - maybe.  This was also the basic issue keeping me
from integrating wxWidgets, which I could compile and link but not run.
  I've made a wincairodriver for GDL which works well, has better backing
store (overplots in the wingcc device are not preserved) but doesn't have
the resize capability of wingcc.  I do this without linking the main
program to the cairo or pango libraries, but
about 12 new dependencies come in as wincairo gets loaded.
  I've done the same for Xcairo, but this attempt fails for some reason,
via segmentation
fault, upon initiating the first window, either  Linux and Cygwin64.