On 2014-10-29 16:23-0700 Greg Jung wrote:

> The gcc -v I get from my default setup:
> COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=e:/mingw/mingw32/bin/../libexec/gcc/i686-w64-mingw32/
> Target: i686-w64-mingw32
                ^^^

> Configured with: ../../../src/gcc-4.8.2/configure --host=i686-w64-mingw32
>   << etc. snip >>
> 32-static/lib -Wl,--large-address-aware'
> Thread model: win32
> gcc version 4.8.2 (i686-win32-sjlj, Built by MinGW-W64 project)
                                                      ^^^

So clearly you are pioneering a new platform for us, and not the MinGW
compiler we have been referring to. Also, I am virtually positive you
don't have a clean platform, see below.

> msys is simply msys, on its own tree and v1.0; no msys dll's are used,
> anyway.

CMake is very good about finding libraries and headers.  So if MSYS is
on your PATH at all, I think you are extremely likely to run into
trouble trying to use MSYS libraries with MinGW-w64 unless you know
exactly what you are doing.  So for the "alone" and MSYS2 options
below, you should take MSYS completely off your PATH to ensure a clean
platform.

For MinGW alone (not MinGW-w64) you can drop MSYS entirely from your
PATH and use the "MinGW Makefiles" generator.  However, I don't know
whether that generator would work with MinGW-w64, but I suppose it is
worth a shot if you are sure MSYS is not accessible at all on your
PATH. Also, the "MSYS Makefiles" generator (normally used with
MinGW/MSYS) is not suitable for MinGW-w64 alone or in some invalid
combination with MSYS. Instead, your best bet is to also install
MSYS2.  In fact, to make sure you have the right version of MinGW-w64
consistent with MSYS2 you should follow the install procedure
accessible from http://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/Home/.

>From the other documentation in that wiki, that combination of
MinGW-w64/MSYS2 is designed to be a light version of modern Cygwin so
I am pretty sure it will work with the same generator recommended for
Cygwin which is "Unix Makefiles".

In sum, stick with one of MinGW alone (with "MinGW Makefiles"
generator), MinGW/MSYS (with "MSYS Makefiles" generator), Cygwin (with
"Unix Makefiles" generator), MinGW-w64 alone (with "MinGW Makefiles"
generator), or MinGW-w64/MSYS2 (with "Unix Makefiles" generator) if
you want to use a gcc compiler on Windows.  We have good results with
the first three, the fourth might work and the fifth will likely work
well because of its similarities with Cygwin.  Of course, if you
decide to take either the fourth or fifth options, you would be the first
here to try them, and we would be most interested in your results.