From: Greg Jung [mailto:gvj...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:45 AM
To: phil rosenberg
Cc: Arjen Markus; Alan W. Irwin; plplot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Plplot-devel] C++ examples broken in mingw

That stackoverflow page has a clearer explanation than I've seen, that is is
dwarf2 exception  in compiler .vs. sjlf in linker (?) or some-such, and the
quote:

I fixed that. What I've had wrong was in toolchain as a compiler I've had
i686-pc-mingw32-gcc-4.6.0.exe but as a linker: mingw32-g++.exe. I've change it
to i686-pc-mingw32-g++.exe and problem is solved. Thanks. -
gives me some hope.  Is there a way to tell if a given package was compiled
with dwarf or with sjlj (or other).

 my gcc version is 4.8.2 which as I thought used dwarf, but
D:\home\greg>gcc --version
gcc (i686-win32-sjlj, Built by MinGW-W64 project) 4.8.2

.  mingw32-xxx reside in /mingw/bin but the compiler I see,
i686-w64-mingw32-xxx resides on /ming32.  My path is
".:/local32/bin:/mingw32/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/c/Windows: ..." and
there are clearly different libstdc files
 1000974 Oct  5  2013 /mingw/bin/libstdc++-6.dll
   883200 Dec  5  2013 /mingw32/bin/libstdc++-6.dll

  So that gives me a start.   Here's a clue: these are evidently support
libraries since
the mingw32 version tells me it goes with sjlj.
/mingw/bin/libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
/mingw32/bin/libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll

to get a decent terminal response, I jump to a CMD shell which until today I
only
had mingw/bin in its path. now i set the path:
e:\python27;D:\cmd;d:\bin;e:\mingw\mingw32\bin;e:\mingw\bin;D:\programs;C:\Windows\system32;
  and lets see ...

 ok that solves this issue: I had kept a copy of the (dwarfish) libstdc++-6 in
the general programs directory, rather than improvig hte path to point to the
correct version, which I know now is sjlj in /mingw32.

 Was I really supposed to know all this to run a program?  I suppose that is a
pitfall
of combining different systems under one roof.

Thanks alot guys, looking at this simple example clears up a lot of things for
me in other areas - maybe.  This was also the basic issue keeping me from
integrating wxWidgets, which I could compile and link but not run.
------------------------
  I've made a wincairodriver for GDL which works well, has better backing store
(overplots in the wingcc device are not preserved) but doesn't have the resize
capability of wingcc.  I do this without linking the main program to the cairo
or pango libraries, but
about 12 new dependencies come in as wincairo gets loaded.
  I've done the same for Xcairo, but this attempt fails for some reason, via
segmentation
fault, upon initiating the first window, either  Linux and Cygwin64.
DISCLAIMER: This message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message.
Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
The foundation 'Stichting Deltares', which has its seat at Delft, The
Netherlands, Commercial Registration Number 41146461, is not liable in any way
whatsoever for consequences and/or damages resulting from the improper,
incomplete and untimely dispatch, receipt and/or content of this e-mail.