On 2014-10-29 13:06-0700 Greg Jung wrote:

>  I've been perusing mailing lists etc. about this, I don't understand
> enough to pass on what I might have learned, but I'll write a few lines
> just to help get it straight in my own mind.  Newer versions
> of GCC for win32, 4.8.1, ... 4.9.1, come in four flavors: split on threads.
> (win32 .vs. posix), and on exception handling (sjlj vs dwarf2).  Evidently
> posix,dwarf2 is the most popular download configuration.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/Toolchains%20targetting%20Win64/Personal%20Builds/mingw-builds/

You forgot at least one additional important gcc flavour factor: note
the link you gave was a mingw-w64 one.  That is quite different from
MinGW (separate developers, separate download area, etc., etc.).

So when you say you are doing experiments on MinGW/MSYS are you actually
referring to that or the entirely separate project MinGW-w64/MSYS2?

Arjen and I are referring exactly to MinGW/MSYS.  The separate project
MinGW-w64/MSYS2 is a platform that is well worth trying, but that has
not been done yet (as far as I know) so I would not be surprised if
there were PLplot build-system issues to solve for that platform.