Hi Alan and Jim
I just tested the patch on my Centos machine and got the following build error

make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib64/libltdl.so', needed by
`src/libplplot.so.12.0.1'. Stop.

make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/plplot.dir/all] Error 2

make[1]: *** [utils/CMakeFiles/wxPLViewer.dir/rule] Error 2

make: *** [wxPLViewer] Error 2

I don't know if this is a show stopper?

However, I have just been looking at random number generation code. A
basic random number generator is only a handful of lines of code and
it can be seeded from the system entropy using either rand_s on
windows or /dev/random on Linux/mac. I have attached a patch. This
works on Windows fine, but I can't test it on Linux until tomorrow
morning. You can test it by applying it to the current master branch.

Phil