On 2015-02-23 13:18-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> On 2015-02-23 10:48-0500 Jim Dishaw wrote:
>> The tests appear to run correctly; however, there were several
> compiler warnings (Apple LLVM version 5.0) that I have not seen with
> gcc (version 4.7.2).  I have attached the test_diff_psc.out.
>
> Thanks for that.  Many of those warnings turned out to be about
> long-standing real issues (e.g., incorrect use of the logical AND
> operator rather than the correct bitwise AND operator) in the code.  I
> have already fixed a couple of these issue on a local topic branch,
> and I will work through the others later today before I push the
> result.

Hi Jim:

What I actually did later that day was push the obvious logical to bitwise
changes
I had already made, and didn't follow up further until today when I
looked at some more of the warning messages you got from clang.

A large percentage of the remaining warnings are of this form:

/Volumes/home/Users/jim/Development/plplot/plplot-plplot/bindings/tk/plframe.c:1281:9:
warning: implicit declaration of function 'XWarpPointer' is invalid in
C99 [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]

where the complaint is always about some X function.  But if you look
at bindings/tk/plframe.c it #includes plxwd.h which in turn #includes

#include <X11/Xlib.h>
#include <X11/Xutil.h>
#include <X11/cursorfont.h>
#include <X11/keysym.h>

.  In fact, that X #include chain works fine here;
if I use the gcc compiler option -Wimplicit-function-declaration, I
get no warnings like above (except for one non-X case which I will
shortly fix).

So I am at a complete loss why your compiler generates the above
warning (and many more like it).  I haven't spotted any conditional
logic in the above chain of #includes so I am pretty sure your
compiler finds and uses the above headers, but somehow those headers
are not declaring the a fairly large number of X functions on your
system.

To follow up, here is what I suggest you do.

1. Take careful note of the X-related parts of the cmake output.  Do
those results refer to the exact X headers (from MacPorts or wherever)
that you want to use?

2. Take careful note (using the VERBOSE=1 option for the make command,
e.g., "make VERBOSE=1 all") of the exact compilation command used to
compile plframe.c.  Are all the -I options that refer to X locations
referring to your desired X version?

3. Iterate 1 and 2 until you know your compiler is using the set of X
headers you desire. Then look at those headers to see why XWarpPointer
is not declared in them. For example, is it possible that an
additional X header beyond the above should be #included in
include/plxwd.h in the Mac case to get the full complement of
X functions declared?

Once you solve this, then that effort combined with the fixes I have
pushed should leave a rather short list of remaining warning messages
from clang. You should make that short list available here in case one
of the C experts here can address some or all of the remaining clang
warning issues.